GFHS Community Fair Featured: SUNY Adirondack Free Continuing Education
Glens Falls High School hosted a community connections fair on Wednesday, February 8, 2023, from 3:30 PM to 7:00 PM. There were over 30 providers on hand to explain the community services that their organizations provide – Organizations from throughout the region set up tables, and had free offerings including tote bags, pens, socks, magnets, and informational pamphlets. There was also free pizza, water, door prizes, and even child care.
SUNY Adirondack had a table featuring short-term courses that, due to grant funding, are tuition-free to those who qualify. These course offerings included an IT Desk Bootcamp and Electrical Maintenance Technician (EMT) Bootcamp.
The IT Bootcamp will teach students entry-level skills to begin a career as an IT Help Desk Technician. This course will strengthen understanding of fundamental computer systems strategies; including management in hardware architecture, operating systems, program troubleshooting, and more. This course will also highlight network management processes that improve skills on WAN, virtualization techniques, TCP/IP, and scanning. There will be a focus on adopting basic skills in network security, security threat analysis, cryptography, and security auditing across hardware and software systems. Finally, this course will prepare the student for the CompTIA exams.
Key competencies include:
- Customer service principles and effective communication
- Remote accessing and scenario analysis
- Incident management process and understanding of issue prioritization techniques, and best practices of help desk operation
- Understanding of operating systems, computer hardware components and devices, computer network and web applications
- Supporting and troubleshooting laptops and mobile devices, and managing common issues
- Installing configuring and troubleshooting print and display devices
- Installing PC Components
Companies wishing to up-skill new or potential employees, and individuals who want to enter the exciting and ever changing world of IT support, will benefit from this course. Career services are embedded into the material, and also included are presentations by area job centers, along with recruitment opportunities with local employers. This course includes textbooks and computer hardware for each student. Students planning to attend must provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to SUNY Adirondack Continuing Education when registering for this course. The instructors for this course are Gary Gordon and James Austin.
SUNY Adirondack Continuing Education is also offering The Electrical Maintenance Technician Bootcamp. Due to grant funding, this course may also be free to eligible participants. The Electrical Maintenance Technician Bootcamp is a short-term course where students will learn entry-level skills to begin their career as an electrical technician in a variety of modern manufacturing environments. Ideal candidates include those new to working in a modern manufacturing environment, with an aptitude for hands-on work and a desire to build competencies and skills to advance in their field. Students will learn through hands-on classes and independent study, and work outside the class… As a result, students will have the opportunity to build key competencies to ensure on-the-job success.
Key competencies include:
- A strong foundation in basic math applications and mathematical conversions between measurement units and mathematical systems.
- Reading and making precise measurements and utilizing scientific notation
- An introduction to AC & DC currents and their use in electrical systems
- Safety around high voltage equipment, including PPEand the OSHA lockout (LOTO) certification in electrical safety
- An introduction to PLC equipment and relay communications
- Hand tool use
- Use of continuous improvement models in modern manufacturing including Lean and Six Sigma
Tuition for these courses is free for those who are eligible through the grant. To register for these classes, contact SUNY Adirondack Continuing Education at email@example.com, or call (518) 743-2238. The normal cost of the IT Help Desk Bootcamp without the grant would be $2,675.00, and the cost of the Electrical Maintenance Technician Boot Camp without the grant would be $899.00.